Spinach, mixed vegetables, pumpkin/squash, peas/beans are all great options to add to rice while it cooks for extra fiber, protein and nutrients.
Check out my Broccoli and Carrot Rice recipe, inspired by my mother.
Broccoli and Carrot Rice:
- 3 cups of rice (and water needed to cook rice per packaging instructions).
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoon of fat of choice (oil/butter)
- salt and pepper to taste.
1. Heat oil in large pot on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
2. Add broccoli and carrot, stir until heated throughout and well combined.
3. Add rice and mix until well combined. Add water (amount of water per direction on rice packaging).
4. Bring rice to boil then cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes (or per packaging instructions).
Eat Well, Live Well