Making your own nut milk is easy and tastes better, in my opinion, than store bough options.
Plus you know the exact ingredients within your nut milk!
- 1 cup almonds
- 4 cups hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 dates (if you would like it sweetened)
- Optional ingredients: cinnamon, cocoa/chocolate, coconut, vanilla.
-- Cheesecloth or nut milk bag
1. Soak almonds, water, and dates for at least an hour.
2. Blend mixture (I use a food processor to break up the almonds and then blender to get the mixture smoother); taste mixture and then add extra dates or optional ingredients for taste.
3. Place three layers of cheesecloth over a large bowl. Slowly pour blended mixture over cheesecloth and allow liquid to seep through; bundle cheesecloth and squeeze to retrieve all fluid. ( you may use a nut milk bag as well).
4. Store nut milk in an air tight container for 3-7 days.
5. You can use the remaining almond pulp for a variety of things (make an almond meal or add to your cereal, granola or smoothie)!