Celebrate this month by making a classic, protein rich dish that is sure to please everyone:
Peas and rice.
The peas often used include: red beans (kidney beans), black eyes peas, and pigeon peas (all are a great source of protein and the choice of bean is up to you).
Peas and rice can be eaten alone or with curried meat and plantain (my favorite combo!)
Peas and Rice Recipe:
1/2 cup red kidney beans (dry) (or use a 15oz can, drained, for a quick method, directions below)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
3 sprigs thyme
2 cups long grain brown rice
2 scallions (chopped)
4 cups water
1. Soak red kidney beans overnight.
2. Combine water coconut milk, and beans to a large pot and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer covered for ~2 hours or until beans are tender and creamy (add additional water as needed)
4. Add thyme, scallion, onion, garlic, scotch bonnet, uncooked rice, salt and pepper.
5. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender (add water ad needed, should be at least 1 inch above rice).
6. Serve hot. Enjoy!.
(If using canned beans, add all ingredients to a pot, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until rice is tender (20-30 minutes).
Eat Well, Live Well.